Sunday, March 4, 2007

On weight loss...

I have a hormonal disorder (pcos) that can be the cause of so many health problems including infertility, type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure - just to name a few. After going through infertility treatment for two years each for both of the boys and then a few years later being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I have now been diagnosed with high blood pressure and am now on medication for this. I read an article in the paper yesterday about type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure causing Chronic Kidney Disease. Since I have both of those things and my latest urine test showed protein I am even more determined than ever to get well and healthy. PCOS is an insidious disease. The insulin resistance makes weight loss so much harder and the symptoms of lethargy and sugar cravings make it hard to even try.

So what changed for me this time? How did I make that connection? It was simply starting karate lessons with the boys in January that changed everything. I had been feeling so stiff and sore after ironing six hours per day and then running around cooking meals, cleaning house, washing clothes, grocery shopping - I felt out of control and out of shape to deal with any of this.

I saw the boys at their karate lessons late last year doing leg circles and arm circles and it just clicked - even if I just did the stretching with them I would be more flexible and getting around would be easier. Little did I expect that it would snowball so much further from there. I loved it, I loved every single second of it. I practice at home and never miss a lesson. From there I bought a treadmill and started eating more fruits, vegetables and salads and less chocolates and biscuits and chips.

I am trying really hard to not get into the diet mindset of "all or nothing". The thinking that I have to be perfect or not bother at all. Instead I recognize that I am not perfect, never will be. But that I am happy and excited to try and eat better quality foods and exercise. I am starting to see results. My body shape is changing. I cope better with my work (ironing) and cope much better with household chores.

So my next things to look forward are:

Going for my first grading (karate belt) in six weeks - woohoo

Having more and more energy - start going for walks on weekends with the boys, more fishing, more camping, more picnics, more outings in general. (I usually dread camping).

Fitting into two pairs of shorts that are in my cupboad - they have never fit, always been two tight but now the button nearly does up

Buying some more new clothes (I never every buy new clothes - it is something I really dread, nothing ever fits or looks nice)

Making a really nice home-made sauce for our Thai stir-fry (I am not liking the bottled or packet sauces we have tried so far)

Having lower blood sugars and lower blood pressure.

No comments: